The Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) connects the large Indian Ocean city of Mombasa with Nairobi, the country’s capital and largest city. This SGR runs parallel to the defunct narrow-gauge Uganda Railway that was completed in 1901 under British colonial rule. The East African Railway Master Plan provides for the Mombasa-Nairobi SGR to link with other SGRs being built in the East African Community. Makadara Express direct trains ferry passengers to and from Nairobi and Mombasa.
It’s very easy to buy SGR (Madaraka Express) tickets using the 3 options available.
- Go to Makadara Express website and choose the train type (express or inter-county), select the terminus you are leaving from & going to and lastly the date of travel.
- Choose the seat i.e. either First Class or Second Class & enter the number of tickets you want to buy (5 maximum) and then click on book a train.
- Add passenger details and payment details (M-Pesa Payment number).
- Pay via M-Pesa and you are good to go.
- Dial *639# on your phone.
- Choose your preferred train i.e., Inter-County, Nairobi to Mombasa Express and Mombasa to Nairobi Express.
- Choose the date of travel.
- Choose the seat i.e., either First Class or Second Class.
- Enter the number of tickets you want to buy. The maximum is 5.
- If you have children, indicate how many they are.
- Enter the full name & ID of the person buying the ticket.
- Pay via M-Pesa.
3. Over the counter
- Visit the station of departure and buy the ticket.
- You will have to pay by cash only (local currency).