Uber is by far the most popular taxi service in Kenya and the world beyond. Uber offers two options; UberX and UberChapChap. UberSelect is no longer available. As an Uber driver, you can make the most of your time on the road with requests from the largest network of active riders. Uber is a great way to be your own boss and make money. Most people are eligible to drive with Uber, even if you don’t have a car.
Benefits of becoming an Uber driver
Some of the benefits of becoming an Uber driver include the following.
- Set your own schedule – You’re the boss. You can drive with the Uber app day or night. Fit driving around your life, not the other way around. Only drive when it works for you. There’s no office and no boss. That means you’ll always start and stop on your time – because with Uber, you’re in charge
- Make money on your own terms – The more you drive, the more money you can make. When demand is higher than normal, you can make even more. You can drive and make as much as you want. Plus, your fares get automatically deposited weekly
- Let the app lead the way – Just tap and go. You get turn-by-turn directions, suggestions to help you make more money, and 24/7 support
- Safety behind the wheel – Uber is dedicated to keeping people safe on the road. Uber technology enables them to focus on driver safety before, during, and after every trip
How to become an Uber Kenya driver
To register as an Uber driver in Kenya, follow this procedure.
a. Sign up online
b. Upload your documents
There are some of the documents Uber Kenya needs to see.
- National identity card (must be over 24 years old)
- Must be clear/readable
- Ensure your name on your National ID matches your name on your Uber account
- Each Driver’s National ID will be verified in order to be approved. You will be notified once your document has been approved
- PSV driving license
- Must be clear/readable
- Ensure your name on your license matches your name on your Uber account
- Each Driver’s License will be verified in order to be approved. You will be notified once your document has been approved
- You will receive notifications as your documents date expiration comes closer
- In order to stay on the road, Uber needs your most up to date PSV Drivers License
- You can update your documents through partners.uber.com or you can just update it through the App
- Complete safety screening
- Complete a certification session
- Provide a driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver’s full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus. It cannot be a driver’s license photo or other printed photograph
c. Get a vehicle
Make sure that your vehicle is in excellent working and physical condition so that it meets our standards in Kenya. Remember, your vehicle will be able to receive UberX and UberChapChap trips. Buy or lease a vehicle and start driving with discounts and partnerships from Uber’s Vehicle Solutions program. Check out Uber Kenya vehicle requirements.
d. Activate your account
If you’ve completed all the above steps, congratulations! You’re ready to activate your account and start making money.
Uber Kenya contacts
Got questions? You can reach out to Uber Kenya using the contact details below.
Nairobi: The RiverFront, Prof David Wasawo Drive
Mombasa: Rockwall Plaza, Links Road, Nyali
Tel: 0800 724 786
Leave a Reply