The National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA) started rolling out the new generation smart driving licences in March 2018. The new digital driving licences are a replacement of the colonial era red booklet that has been issued to Kenyan drivers over the last century. Commonly referred to Smart DL, the new digital driving licenses look almost similar to the National ID and contain details of names, blood type, biometric information, and offences committed.
These licenses have been upgraded and are fitted with a chip, much like ATM cards that hold drivers’ information and a points system that is used to discipline drivers. There’s also a digital wallet that is meant to facilitate paying fines on committing offences. Each card has 100 points and points are deducted when traffic offenses are committed. If the driver reaches the threshold of 40 points, the license will automatically be cancelled. The driver can only re-apply after six months, a regulation that amounts to suspension.
The points system is used in countries including the UK, Australia, and Germany. The unique digital driving license seeks to eliminate fraud in the acquisition of a driver’s license by preventing the development of fake documents from the back streets. The new smart card costs Ksh 3,000 and will be valid for three years. After the three years, holders will apply again for new permits.
Features of the Smart DL
Some of the features to expect in the new generation driving license, include the following.
- Your car ownership details such as your car’s number plate, your log book details, among others will be integrated to the Smart DL
- If you are fined for a traffic offense, the new driving licence will make it possible for you to pay up the fines through it, since the card will come bundled with an electronic wallet
- The Smart Driving Licence will enable potential employers to access your driving records, especially where your driving ability is important to the job
- Your driving record will be available to insurers. It is expected that your driving profile will play a role in the determination of the premiums a driver should pay
- The cumulative point system will be used to reward or punish you are a driver based on their behaviour on the road. If you hit a certain lower threshold, you will be legally barred from driving until the points are renewed again, after a set period
You can reach out to NTSA, using the following contacts.
Hill Park Building, Upper Hill, Nairobi, Kenya
P.O. Box 3602-00506 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 20 663 2000
Mobile: +254 709 932 000
How to get a Smart DL in Kenya
In order to obtain a Smart DL in Kenya, you need to follow this procedure.
- Open the NTSA web portal
- If you don’t have an account;
- Click on ‘Register’ to input your details and follow the process to complete registration
- Make sure you click on ‘Subscribe SMS’ at the top right-hand side of your screen to receive a security code and other notifications
- After you have registered, you can proceed to login to your account. Remember;
- When registering for an account, the ID Serial Number is NOT the same as your ID number. The serial number is printed opposite to the ID Number on your ID
- Your Mother’s Maiden Name and KRA PIN will be required during registration
- If you get “The PIN doesn’t exist” error when you try to verify your KRA PIN, NTSA advises you visit one of their offices near you for assistance
- If you already have an account;
- Click on the ‘Login Method’ to choose whether to use ID number, Alien ID number or Diplomatic ID number for individuals, and Username or Certificate of Incorporation for companies, followed by your password
- Key in the pop-up security code sent to your mobile phone via SMS
- Finally, click on the ‘Sign In’ button to log into the system
- After logging in, navigate to the ‘Driving Licence’ tab on the top navigation bar
- Click on ‘Apply for Smart DL’ button
- A new tab will be opened and you will be required to input your ID number, phone number, KRA PIN and blood group to book for an appointment at the NTSA offices
- You’ll also be required to pay Ksh 3,050 to apply for a smart driving licence valid for 3 years
- Proceed to select an appointment centre along with the date and time you would wish to reserve in order that an NTSA officer can confirm your details. Available slots will be in white while those in red are already booked
- Some of the appointment centres include NTSA Offices in the following locations;
- Nairobi – NTSA Head Office in Upper Hill
- Nairobi – Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre, Likoni Road (Industrial Area)
- Nakuru – Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre along Nakuru Ravine Road near Show Ground junction
- Mombasa – Imaara Building, 1st Floor, on Dedan Kimathi Avenue opposite Pandya Memorial Hospital
- Kisumu – Swan Centre, 1st floor
- Kisii – Umoja Plaza, KRA Building
- Machakos – Naivas Building, KRA offices
- Eldoret – Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre along Police Line Road
- Thika – Thika House building, 1st roundabout to Thika from blue Post Hotel, Nkuruma street
- Nyeri – Regional Commissioners complex Nyeri, block C, third floor, Opposite Nyeri Law Courts
- Complete your reservation and print the appointment slip
- On the reserved day, visit the NTSA office chosen and verify your details on TIMS with a NTSA officer
- A passport photo, signature and fingerprints will be recorded
- Your application is now be complete and you will be notified by SMS when your new driving license is ready for collection
I applied for smart DL on 04/06/2020 and still up to now have not been contacted, my point was likoni ntsa nairobi, the system is all time down, you are turned back by the security personnel, my question is for how long and can i go to another station sir
It takes like 2 weeks for the Smart DL to be out. Reach out to NTSA for clarification on why the delay.
MINE UP TO NOW WAS INFORMED WILL GET MESSAGE ITS NOW A MONTH
why that book application time is inactive
Reach out to NTSA for clarification.
i forgot to print the appointment slip,what do i do?
You can log into the system and show the guard your appointment details.
Upon passing the test and applying for the smart card online at the cyber , im I allowed/ licensed to be on the road even before the smart card is out
Once you pass the test, you can download and print the Interim Driving Licence that you can use as you wait for your Smart DL to be processed.
Is it possible to apply for the smart DL from abroad?
It’s not possible because you have to book an appointment and present yourself physically at the NTSA offices for digital fingerprints, signature and passport photo capture.
After passing exam, what do they write on your TIMS account for one to know?
I have applied for my smart DL nd it’s nw more than three weeks before I received mine, is there any problem
Good morning, is it possible to apply for a smart DL before the yearly DL expires. Please advise. Thanks