A graduate engineer is a person that holds an engineering degree from a technical university or equivalent. This is a person who is relatively junior in the profession. For one to practice as a graduate engineer in Kenya, one is required by law to register with the Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK). The registration provides an assurance to the public that one is adequately skilled to take the responsibilities that come with making engineering decisions.
For one to be registered as a graduate engineer, one is supposed to have obtained a basic degree in engineering programme that is approved by the Board. Thereafter, one works under the supervision of a professional engineer in order to gain the desired level of experience, maturity of judgement and professional competence as an engineer, whereby he/she can safely assume full responsibility for the engineering works in his charge. Subsequently, a graduate engineer sits for professional interview to be admitted as a professional engineer.
Graduate engineer registration in Kenya
To register as a graduate engineer in Kenya, follow this application procedure.
- Fill in the Application Form; available here or at the EBK’s Customer Information Desk.
- Attach the required documents: the documents should be certified by the Commissioner of Oaths. These documents include:
- Copy of Degree Certificate and other relevant academic certificates.
- Copy of KCSE Certificate.
- Copy of National Identity Card (ID).
- Two colored passport photos.
- Graduates from Foreign universities, please attach certified copies of the transcripts, address/email address of the university and the contact person.
- Applicant should deposit Ksh 4,000 for application fee at EBK’s Bank Account:
- The Account Name is: Engineers Board of Kenya
- Account No: 01001031539000
- Bank: National Bank. Hill Plaza
- Drop your application together with the Bank Slip at the Customer Information Desk.
- After the Bank Slip has been receipted, you will be given an acknowledgement letter showing that you have applied as a Graduate Engineer and your application is awaiting processing by the Board.
- The Board will approve/reject the application, the applicant will be sent a letter indicating that his/her application has been approved/rejected.
- The applicants whose applications are approved will thereafter be issued with Registration Certificates.