When you enter the wrong PIN for your mobile more than 3 times, your SIM card will be locked. This prevents anyone trying to guess your PIN. To unlock it, you’ll need a PIN Unlocking Key (PUK) code. The PUK number is usually indicated on the plastic card holder that comes with a new SIM card. But, in case you lost the plastic card holder, don’t worry, Safaricom has a number of solutions for you.
Here is how to retrieve your Safaricom PUK number.
To obtain your Safaricom PUK number via USSD code, follow these steps.
- Dial *456# from another phone with an active Safaricom line.
- Select “Get PUK”.
- Enter your mobile phone number.
- Enter your national ID number.
- You’ll receive your PUK code shortly via a text message.
2. MySafaricom app
To obtain your Safaricom PUK number via MySafaricom app, follow these steps.
- Open the app:
- Tab on “Account”.
- Select “PUK”.
- The PUK for your number will be displayed under “My Number”.
If you are using the app on someone’s phone.
- Select “Other Number”.
- Enter phone number.
- Enter ID number or the identification document used to register the Safaricom line.
- Then tap on “Request PUK”.
- The PUK will be displayed on the app.
3. Safaricom Selfcare Portal
To obtain your Safaricom PUK number via Safaricom Selfcare Portal, follow these steps.
- Go to Safaricom Selfcare Portal.
- Enter your mobile number or username and password then click “Login”.
- If you don’t have an account click on “Register” and follow the steps provided to create your account.
- Under “My Profile”, select “Personal Details”.
- Click on “See subscription details”.
- Then scroll down to “Subscription Information”.
- You will see your PUK number.
4. Email support
Send an email to email@example.com, attaching your identification details i.e the identification document you used to register your line, in most cases that’s your national ID or passport.
5. Safaricom Shop
If you live close or have easy access to a Safaricom Customer Care Shop, then you can simply walk in and you will be assisted in retrieving your PUK number.