A credit reference bureau (CRB Kenya) is an entity that is specialized in the collection and sale of credit performance information for individuals and companies. Most lending institutions or even government jobs require that you obtain a CRB certificate or not be blacklisted. The law permits credit providers to submit names of defaulters/non-performing loans to Credit Reference Bureaus for blacklisting.
A creditor may fail to notify you before submitting your name to CRB or sometimes give bad reports about your credit history to more than one CRBs. To check your CRB Kenya status, your need to register with one or all 3 currently licensed CRB companies in Kenya.
- Metropol Corporation
1. How to check your CRB status with Metropol
- Dial *433# on your mobile phone using Safaricom line
- Enter your National ID Number
- Enter an agent number if you were referred by a Metropol agent else enter zero (0) to proceed
- Confirm your details to complete the registration process
- Pay Ksh 100 as registration fees through the Paybill number 220388 and use your National ID number as the account number
- You will receive an SMS with Crytobol PIN, a Reference Number, and a Link to access your credit report
- Visit Metropol website through the link provided and enter your phone number and reference number to download your credit report
To access other services on the Metropol website, follow the following steps. Remember to pay for all the charges the same way you paid for registration.
- Visit the Metropol website
- Enter your PIN, in case you forgot, Call 0709 834 000 for assistance
- Select your desired service from a variety of options like Listing Status, Credit Scores, Credit report, Clearance Certificate and Who listed me
All payments are made to Paybill number 220388, use your National ID number as the Account number. The following fees apply for the type of service requested for.
- Credit Score – Ksh 150
- Blacklist Status – Ksh 50
- Credit Report – Ksh 250
- Who Has Blacklisted Me – Ksh 50
- Clearance Certificate – Ksh 2,200
2. How to check your CRB status with TransUnion
TransUnion CRB Kenya services can be accessed via SMS number 21272, default TransUnion Nipashe app and through their official website.
- Text your full names to 21272 or 21CRB. Note: SMS charges cost Ksh 19. Download the TransUnion Nipashe app to save on SMS charges
- Register by paying a one-off payment of Ksh 50 to PayBill number 212121 and use your National ID as account number
- Request your credit status CR (Credit Report)
- Reply with your email to access it
- Receive your CRB status. Good means a positive status (not blacklisted) and default means a negative status (you are blacklisted)
For subsequent credit reports, Pay Ksh 650 to either Mpesa/Airtel Paybill number 212121 and your National ID number as an account number. This enables you to get more than one credit report in a year.
For a Clearance Certificate, pay Ksh 2,200, then Email your Mpesa/Airtel transaction details to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be emailed back the Clearance Certificate.
3. How to check CRB status with Creditinfo
- Fill in the Credit Report Request form online to access your credit report
- For a certificate of clearance or to correct and solve any dispute on your credit report, follow the instructions on their website and fill the subsequent forms thereof
Do i listed on CRB record