A student pass is a document issued to applicants (foreign students), who wish to purse their education in Kenya’s education or training institutions where they have been accepted or admitted. The applicant (foreign student) must be accepted as a student/pupil by an approved educational or training establishment.
Requirements for a student pass in Kenya
In order for one to be granted a student pass in Kenya, he/she must fulfill the following requirements.
- A duly filled, signed and stamped application Form 30, by the institution’s authorized personnel (Both new and renewal cases). You will print out the form at the end of the application for a student pass. In case you want to reprint your application form, you can do so by going to “My Applications” section here.
- Detailed and signed cover letter addressed to the Director of Immigration Services from the institution indicating the course to be pursued and the duration – both new and renewal cases.
- Signed commitment letter from the sponsor – both new and renewal cases.
- National passport copy of the sponsor – both new and renewal cases.
- Proof of funds for self-sponsored students – both new and renewal cases.
- For minors, consent letter from the parent – both new and renewal cases.
- Copy of parent’s national passport and copy of birth certificate of the minor should be attached as proof of relationship (for minors) – both new and renewal cases.
- Copy of a valid national passport both new and renewal cases (the bio-data page).
- Current immigration status for the pupil/student – both new and renewal cases (If in the country).
- Two (2) recent passport size color photos – both new and renewal cases.
- Duly certified copies of basic academic certificates for those joining tertiary institutions and universities – new cases.
- Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by either the embassy, public notary, or authorized/recognized institution – both new and renewal cases.
- Copy of the school’s/college registration certificate from the Ministry of Education – new cases.
- Clearance letter from Department of Refugee Affairs for refugees – both new and renewal cases.
- Certified copies of progress report/transcripts obtained (by the issuing institution) – for renewal cases.
- Copy of student’s pass previously held -for renewal cases.
- For minor attach a copy of parent’s Kenya residence permit if not a boarder.
- Police Clearance Certificate from the country of origin, or if a resident, from the Kenya Police Service.
- Copy of checklist. Click here to download.
How to apply for a student pass in Kenya
To apply for a student pass, you need to follow these steps.
- Create a log in account within the Government of Kenya Single Sign On portal.
- Log in using the account you have created above to access eFNS portal.
- Once logged in the eFNS portal, select the “Apply now” link.
- Click on the “Submit Applications” tab and select the “Student pass” tab. If you are already logged in to eFNS, you can click here to make an application.
- After your application is approved, an invoice will be generated which you can see by clicking on “Dashboard” then “Payments” tab. If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to make a payment.
- If unable to pay using any of the online modes, print your invoice by clicking on “Dashboard” then “Payments” tab (If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to print your invoice).
- Present your invoice and banker’s cheque at the Immigration Counter at Nyayo House, Nairobi for payments.
- You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application.