Twitter is the home of debates and the largest source of breaking news. Therefore, the site is a very important platform for businesses, public figures and influencers alike. Twitter was the first social media network to introduce the verification program. The definition of the checkmark has since changed. Previously, Twitter used a blue checkmark to indicate active, notable, and authentic accounts of public interest that Twitter had independently verified based on certain requirements. A blue checkmark may mean two different things:
- The account has an active subscription to the new Twitter Blue subscription service and has met our eligibility criteria.
- The account was previously verified under the legacy verification criteria (active, notable, and authentic).
Twitter Blue subscribers will need to meet Twitter’s eligibility criteria to receive or retain the blue checkmark.
Requirements to be verified on Twitter
Only accounts actively subscribed to Twitter Blue are eligible to receive the blue checkmark. Twitter uses an eligibility criteria on when the checkmark is given to ensure they maintain the integrity of the platform. Your account must meet the following criteria to receive or retain the blue checkmark:
- Complete: Your account must have a display name and profile photo.
- Active use: Your account must be active in the past 30 days to subscribe to Twitter Blue.
- Security: Your account must be older than 90 days upon subscription and have a confirmed phone number.
- Your account must have no recent changes to your profile photo, display name, or username (@handle).
- Your account must have no signs of being misleading or deceptive.
- Your account must have no signs of engaging in platform manipulation and spam.
How to apply for Twitter verification
In order to be verified on Twitter, you must first subscribe to Twitter Blue.
- Navigate to the “Profile” menu on your app or click on the three dots on twitter.com.
- Select “Twitter Blue”.
- Select the “Subscribe” button.
- If you haven’t already, you’ll be prompted to verify your phone number.
- Then, follow the in-app purchase instructions for iOS or confirm your subscription payment on web.
The checkmark will appear once Twitter reviews your Twitter Blue subscribed account and if it meets their requirements.