A consulting engineer is an expert in engineering, science and related areas to governments, industries, developers and construction. For one to practice as a consulting engineer in Kenya, one is required by law to register with the Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK). The registration provides an assurance to the public that one is adequately skilled to take the responsibilities that come with making engineering decisions.
Consulting engineer registration in Kenya
To register as a consulting engineer in Kenya, follow this application procedure.
- Ensure that you meet the following qualifications:
- Registered with EBK as a Professional Engineer.
- Must have at least 9 years continuous professional experience of which 5 years will be post registration as a professional engineer.
- Fill in the Application Form; available here or at the EBK’s Customer Information Desk.
- Attach the below listed documents (Certification to be done by the Commissioner of Oaths whose names and address are fully displayed on the Rubber Stamp):
- Certified copy of Degree Certificate and other relevant academic certificates.
- Certified copy of National Identity Card (ID)/Passport.
- EBK Professional Engineer Certificate.
- IEK Membership Certificate.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) certified by one of the referees.
- Two colored passport photos.
- Applicant should deposit Ksh 20,000 application fee at EBK’s Bank Account:
- Account Name: Engineers Board of Kenya
- Account No: 01001031539000
- Bank: National Bank. Hill Plaza
- Drop your application together with the Bank Slip at the Customer Information Desk.
- After all the documents are received, the Board will do administrative review of the documents and if there are any deficiencies the Secretariat will advise the applicant accordingly.
- The Board will contact the nominated referees. Upon receiving at least two responses, the application will be forwarded to the chairman of the panel of the respective discipline for technical evaluation.
- The Panel will do a technical evaluation and notify the applicant in writing of the intention to sit for professional interview.
- After the applicant has sat for the professional interview the recommendations will be forwarded to the Board for deliberations and ratifications.
- The applicant will be notified in writing of the Board’s recommendations and thereafter a certificate of registration will be issued to successful applicants.